Your Pace or Mine? by Lisa Jackson

If you know me in “real life” it probably hasn’t escaped your notice that I’m training for my first marathon ( you can sponsor me at https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/alitweedlie ). As a result I got some great running-related presents for Christmas, including a copy of Your Pace or Mine? by Lisa Jackson.

Rather than a book about technique and speed and winning, Your Pace or Mine? is a study on the other bits of running – the people you meet, the life experiences, the achievements, the crowds cheering, the catharsis, the mental game, the failures and the smiles and laughs along the way. The best bits.

Lisa tells a mean story, and she is at once warm, funny, engaging, encouraging and inspiring. First-hand accounts from Lisa’s running companions and heroes top off each chapter, bringing each lesson to life and reinforcing the power of the running community I have – somewhat unexpectedly – found myself part of.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. While the subject is running, I imagine it will be similarly inspiring if you’re preparing to take on pretty much any challenge. I DEVOURED this book in a week’s worth of commutes, and I got the strangest looks on the Piccadilly Line each morning as I went from giggling, to welling up, to snort-laughing all between Hyde Park Corner and Knightsbridge.

Lisa’s enthusiasm is infectious, and her positive attitude filled me with ambition, and helped with my mental game (after all, marathon running is 90% mental – and the other 10% is pretty mental too). I feel quietly confident that I’ve got the miles in my legs, and I have a good chance of achieving the time I want – and that if I don’t, that’s also fine.

Despite the fact I’m yet to run my first marathon, about half way through the book I found myself full of enthusiasm and entered the ballot for the New York marathon this November. Oops!
Advertisements

Happy thoughts – Saturday 25th February

Despite getting up at 6.20am for work, today was not the car crash I thought it would turn out to be. The work bit wasn’t ideal, but actually, everything else has been pretty good.

  • Firstly, my heroic hubby got up super early to make me breakfast before I headed off to work on site at one of our events. Also pretty miraculous was the fact that I was only due to be working this morning, and actually only worked the morning – usually me being due to finish about 12.30pm would result in me finally leaving at 4 or later. But I managed to get away and home by 1pm, where heroic hubby had lunch waiting for me.
  • I’m usually first to joke about how rubbish Scotland’s various teams are at sports, so it’s a great day when we win – and today was that day, as we beat Wales 29-13 in the Six Nations. The first time we’ve beaten them in 10 years, and we actually deserved the win – it wasn’t just that Wales messed up and Scotland got lucky, we actually outplayed them for the entirety of the second half.
  • Finally watched The Theory of Everything. It came with high expectations, but it didn’t disappoint. I expected to bawl through it, but despite some pretty serious subject matter and sad moments, it also had plenty of uplifting moments and although Eddie Redmayne was good, it was really Felicity Jones’ film.